Take Your Praxis Test
School closures threw teachers pursuing certification for a loop. With many changes sparked by COVID-19, the Educational Testing Service (ETS) has opted to allow teacher-candidates to take select Praxis tests.
Passing the Praxis test is a requirement in the state of South Carolina. As many testing centers remain closed or open at limited capacity, the ETA is dedicated to allowing as many teacher-candidates to have access to their required tests by offering at home test delivery.
How It Works
The content of the offered tests remains unchanged. Just as when taking an in-person Praxis test, you will take the test online and the test format will appear identical. The test must be taken from your home or another secure location. Prior to scheduling your test, it is required to make an appointment with a human proctor to monitor you while you take your test. To be eligible to take the test, the computer on which you intend to take the test must meet the equipment requirements. Additionally, you will need to install the ETS Test Browser and pass the ProctorU Systems Check.
What You Need to Know
- You may take tests between 7 AM – 10 PM PST, seven days a week, including holidays
- Tests must be taken using windows operating system on desktop or laptop
- You must be in the US or a US territory when taking the test
- If you are already registered for a Praxis test at a testing center, you can call Praxis Customer Support at 1-800-772-9476 to modify your registration
- Not all tests are available for at-home registration
Praxis Tests Offered At Home
As of May 15, South Carolina teacher candidates may register for the following Praxis tests to take at home:
- 5161 Mathematics: Content Knowledge
- 5169 Middle School Mathematics
On June 1, the following exams will be available:
- 5624 Principals of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7-12
- 5095 Physical Education: Content and Design
- 5086 Social Studies: Content and Interpretation
- 5047 Middle School English Language Arts
- 5440 Middle School Science
Prepare Your Registration with ETS
If you haven’t already, register for your Praxis test on the homepage of your ETS account. Once you have verified that your test is available to take at home, make sure to complete the equipment requirement checklist in order to avoid any complications. If you fail to meet this equipment and environment checklist requirements, you will not be allowed to test. Next, make sure to have your valid U.S. identification documents ready.
Come Spring, the ETA plans to offer more at-home tests. We’ll update our list, so make sure to check back regularly.